Last night, I was about to get started on some pizza dough and -- serendipity -- the Whole Foods newsletter hit my box just as I was about to shut the lid on my computer. I skimmed through it, went to the site to see if there were any good coupons and happened upon this tofu ricotta recipe. I was intrigued because it uses extra firm tofu instead of silken and has stuff like tahini and white miso (which I just bought and want to use in everything).
Bad phone pic taken by boyfriend who has a camera but insists on using my phone instead? He tasted it and said he got a hint of pickles off of it. I thought it tasted good. Something about it was really nice and I kept sneaking bites of it as I was making pizzas.
It was much firmer and really held up to cooking on top of my pizza. This was a nice change for me since I've just been eating just tomato sauce and veggies as toppings. I'm not too much of a fan of any fake mozzarella cheeses that I've tried. Now I've got another option and that rocks.
I'm going to use the rest to make some lasagna. YUM!
More recipes for vegan ricotta you might want to give a try:
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese Substitute - This one uses half a block of firm tofu and you push it through a potato ricer. Why didn't I think of that? I have one of those and I never use the thing.
- Chive Ricotta Nut Cheese - This one uses soaked, raw cashews instead of tofu and there are lots of flavor variations you can try.
- Vegan Ricotta with Sausage Stuffed Shells - I love this one because it uses vegan sour cream to make it creamier. Just what you need when you're making stuffed shells.
- Vegan Ricotta - This recipe is more like actual cheese making. It doesn't use pre-made tofu or nuts, but rather, soy milk and nigari, which is a tofu coagulant. It's fresh tofu that isn't allowed to drain and compress completely like the cakes we find in the store.
- Vegan Ricotta Ravioli - The recipe here uses soy yogurt for the creaminess. Sounds good, although I've yet to find a soy yogurt that wasn't too sweet to use for something like this.