At our house we pronounce that veh-jan mote-cha brownies. Because we like saying things in ways we shouldn't. Also, as far as brownie batters go, this is one of the best. I can still hear my kid scraping the bowl to death.
- 2/3 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 and get a pan ready (grease or spray w/ oil). This can make an 8x8 pan, it can fill 6 muffin cups high or 12 muffin cups low, it can make 24 mini-muffin brownies or it can fill a Baker's Edge pan quite nicely. Your choice, people.
- In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients with the flax seed and cocoa.
- In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (except chips) and add to the wet ingredients, mixing just until you don't see the whiteness of any flour. Don't go crazy.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. For mini-muffins, check at 20. For an 8x8, it can go 30 minutes or longer. If using a toothpick to check these, it doesn't have to come out perfectly clean, but should be mostly clean with a little crumb action. (Make sure you don't jab a chip when you're checking!)
A bowl full of coffee and ground flax seeds. That's about how I start every morning...
I love the look of a glossy brownie batter.
Fill mini-muffin cups about this full and what you get is:
Tip: The stronger the coffee, the more coffee taste in the brownies, so brew to taste.